Shayne Krige is a director of Werksmans Attorneys and currently heads the firm’s Investment Funds & Private Equity Practice. Shayne specialises in investment funds, private equity and international transactions. His expertise covers the range of investment fund types - from asset and hedge funds to private equity funds - and extends to corporate / mergers & acquisitions as well as corporate structuring. He has acted for investment funds, fund managers and investors and has helped a number of South African clients to establish international funds. He has also represented funds in disputes with Regulators across the globe. Although he has had exposure to a variety of international markets, Shayne has in-depth experience of the investment environment in Africa. Shayne is a regular speaker on investment funds at international conferences. He has BA LLB from the University of the Witwatersrand and is admitted as an English Solicitor and a Solicitor of Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court.
- Represented a number of South African and international clients in establishing and operating hedge funds, private equity funds, investment management and advisor companies including those established in South Africa, Luxembourg, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Mauritius, Malta, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Germany and FranceActed as South African counsel to One Thousand & One Voices, a $300m fund blending philanthropy and investment in assets across the African continent, as international legal counsel to the Evolution One fund, a R700m fund investing into clean technology investments in sub-Saharan Africa as well as for a number of family offices in relation to the structuring of their African public and private equity investments
- Represented founders of Skype in setup of international communications businessRepresented a number of local and foreign clients in relation to pension fund regulation in South Africa including Allan Gray and Stanlib Regular speaker at international conferences on investment funds
- Acted for Nomura on their acquisition of Lehman Brothers Limited's equities and investment banking division
- Advised Allan Gray, Amnesty International, Bank Insinger de Beaufort, Inspired Evolution, Investec Bank, JP Morgan, Palladino, Rapid African Energy Holdings and SAB Miller on various international transactions
- Acting for the principals of the Belvedere Group, by providing advice and representing them at various enquiries, who were accused of administering one of the biggest Ponzi schemes in history in the press, which allegations triggered investigations by the financial services regulators in Mauritius, Guernsey, the Cayman Islands and South Africa
- BA LLB (University of the Witwatersrand)
- 2011: Director, WerksmansHead of Investment Funds & Private Equity practice area and Head of Africa practice group
- Admitted as an English Solicitor and Solicitor of Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court
- Practised for 12 years in Paris, France
- Headed the Werksmans team that won “Offshore Investment Team of the Year for South Africa”, at the Offshore Excellence Awards judged in London, August 2014
- Named as a recommended lawyer in Investment Funds by the Legal500 (2016 - 2018).
- "Industry knowledge surpasses all other firms", according to a client. Shayne Krige is "outstanding’ in local as well as offshore structuring and regulatory issues.
- "Identified as being among the world’s leading Private Funds lawyers. Who’s Who Legal: Private Funds 2018.