Practice covers project development and financing transactions in the energy sector, including renewables and conventional power transactions. Jonathan also advises clients in other sectors on a range of transactional and general corporate matters, including M&A, due diligence investigations and joint ventures.
- Infrastructure, Energy & Projects
- Project Finance
- Advised an investor in regard to their proposed investment in a gas to power project in Mozambique.Advised Vedanta Resources plc in relation to their acquisition of Anglo American's zinc assets in South Africa and Namibia.Advised various clients in respect of roof-top solar, waste to power and off-grid power projects.Advised an institutional investor in respect of its equity investment in various wind and solar power projects as part of Round 4 of the South African Renewable Energy IPP Programme.
- Advised the lenders in respect of a biomass power project in Kwazulu-Natal Province of South Africa as part of the South African Renewable Energy IPP Procurement Programme.
- Advised the sponsors and project company in respect of the 64MW Letsatsi Solar PV Power Project and the 64MW Lesedi Solar PV Power Project.Advised the sponsors and project company in the 75MW Jasper Solar PV Power Project.
- Advising SolarReserve in respect of the 100MW Redstone Concentrated Solar Thermal Power Project.Advised the lenders in respect of the 75MW Kathu Solar PV Project.
- Bcom (University of Johannesburg)
- LLB (Universtiy of Johannesburg)
- LLM (University of Johannesburg)
- Admitted, High Court of South Africa (2009)
- 2015: Director, Werksmans
- Recognised as a "rising star" in Project Finance by IFLR1000 (2017) and ranked as a "highly regarded" practitioner for Energy & Infrastructure and Project Finance in IFLR1000 (2018 & 2019);
- Ranked as "Up and Coming" in Projects and Energy (South Africa) by Chambers Global (2017 and 2018);
- Named as a recommended lawyer in Projects and Infrastructure by Legal500 (2017 and 2018);
- Director, Werksmans (2015); and
- Member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces.