JOHAN G. THERON
Johan served his articles at Jan S. de Villiers and was admitted as an attorney in 1991. Johan became a partner at Jan S. de Villiers during 1995 and a Director at Werksmans Attorneys during 2009. He specialises in commercial litigation and the resolution of diverse contractual disputes. His specialisations include media law and water law. Johan represents the majority of print media in South Africa and acts for an array of agricultural, retail and banking companies.
- Johan appeared in the first case before the Water Tribunal
- Johan advised Media24 in seminal court cases regarding the broadcasting of court proceedings, invasion of privacy, defamation and the interpretation and application of the Copyright Act 98 of 1978 in the context of the reproduction and copying of published articles.
- Johan has advised on numerous matters pertaining to contractual disputes in the retail and agricultural sector.
- Johan advises extensively on matters pertaining to the Companies Act 71 of 2008.
- BA LLB (Stellenbosch)
- 1994: Partner, Jan S. de Villiers
- 2009: Director, Werksmans
- Member of the Council of the University of Stellenbosch from 2014 to date