Director, Head of Construction & Engineering practice
- Jason is the head of the firm's construction and engineering practice.
- He was admitted as an attorney in 2003 and has focused his practice on the construction and engineering sector since 2007. He acts predominantly for contractors and consultants and his client base includes a number of global consulting engineering firms, as well as a number of manufacturers, fabricators and operators in the power, energy, telecommunications and transport infrastructure sectors.
- Jason also specialises in the enforcement of demand guarantees.
- Jason has specific expertise and experience advising on the upfront negotiation and subsequent interpretation of NEC and FIDIC-based contracts. He has represented a number of clients in ADR processes conducted under those contracts and also regularly conducts training and educational seminars for his clients on the NEC, FIDIC and JBCC standard forms.
- Jason also has a general commercial litigation practice where he represents a diverse range of clients including one of the country's listed private healthcare providers, the local chrome mining operation of global metals trading operation, one of South Africa's largest providers of data and internet services, several of the local operations of the world's largest advertising and public relations companies, as well as one of the principal parties involved in the Gautrain project.
More about: Jason Smit
- Arbitration, Adjudication, Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution, focusing specifically on infrastructure, construction and engineering matters and guarantee-related disputes
- Front-end negotiation of engineering and construction contracts
- Tender vetting and reviews
- General commercial and contractual dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration and High Court litigation
- High Court actions and applications
- Arbitrations and alternative dispute resolution
- Risk-related contract reviews
- B.Bus.Sci (Hons) (UCT) 1998
- LLB (UCT) 2000
- Certificate in Advanced Corporate Law and Securities, UNISA (2002)
- BA (cum laude), UNISA (2017)
- Ranked as a leading lawyer in Construction (2015-2018) by Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business. Clients note: "He sees the issue and doesn't overcomplicate it. He understands that you need a good business solution as much as a legal solution and his level of service is extraordinarily efficient."
- Named as a recommended lawyer in Construction by Legal 500 (2015 -2018).