Our Media & Communications practice is geared to handle the challenges posed by the ever-evolving Media & Communications sector. Several team members have been consistently rated as leaders in specialist areas of Media & Communications law, with experience and expertise extending to jurisdictions across Africa.
The team provides services to local and international clients including:
- Leading commercial broadcasters in South Africa and the rest of Africa
- Electronic communications services (voice and data) and network providers
- Print media and online publishers (newspapers and magazines)
- A diverse range of companies providing information and communication technology (ICT) services, software and hardware
- Advertising agencies
The team is adept in advising clients about the latest legislative and regulatory developments and regularly represents clients before the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee responsible for the media and communications sector. Another strength is assisting clients in their dealings with the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa, the advertising authorities, the competition authorities, and the civil courts in both South Africa and the rest of the continent.
MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES:
- Advice on the licensing and regulation of the electronic communications sector, including radio frequency spectrum
- Advice on the publication of content (hard copy and electronic media)
- The law in relation to advertising
- Advice on lotteries, gambling and competitions
- Competition law
- Administrative and constitutional law
- A full range of commercial services related to this sector, including due diligence investigations and the drafting of agreements
- Dispute resolution and litigation services
Contact Director Wendy Rosenberg Head of our Media & Communications practice area.