The Werksmans Competition practice is at the forefront of developments in competition law in South Africa. We have assisted a number of large corporates – including mining, manufacturing, telecommunications and financial services companies and foreign multinationals – with the competition law aspects of mergers and acquisitions (M&A). We also regularly advise on prohibited practices such as cartel conduct, bid rigging and abuses of dominance. Our team has acted in cartel proceedings in steel, airline, construction, engineering, vehicle, fuel and more.
The Competition Act affects every business operating in South Africa, and the serious consequences of contravention necessitate a sound understanding of its basic principles and more importantly, access to the best possible legal advice. South African competition law differs from foreign models in that the focus is not purely on competition and antitrust issues, but also on certain public interest and social goals. These include the promotion of small businesses, the interests of employees and black economic empowerment. The strength of the experienced Werksmans Competition practice is based on a complementary blend of legal and business skills, and a focus on finding practical solutions for the client.
Additionally, our Competition e-Learning Tool provides robust competition law training for all company employees around key areas of competition law.
COMPETITION and antitrust services
- Preparing and submitting merger approval applications to the Competition Commission and Competition Tribunal
- Merger control compliance advice
Investigations and referrals
- Cartel investigations and settlements
- Abuse of dominance complaints
- Market investigations
- Criminal, disciplinary and forensic investigations relating to cartels
- Complaints relating to anti-competitive conduct, including appearances before the Competition Commission and Competition Tribunal in interim relief, intervention, defence and appeal proceedings
- Competition law due diligence investigations and audits
- Exemption applications
- General advice on compliance with local and international competition laws
Contact Paul Coetser, director and head of our Competition practice area.
Download our Competition practice area overview.
Meet the Competition team.
Find out about our Competition e-Learning tool.